Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Williams is Wack, Romano Rules, and Spandel is So Right On

i know you all feel me with that title! i am confused. now that i finally have a copy of williams in my hands i can't decide if i really want to read it. i have to admit that he provides a few valid points on writing assignments in chapter 9, but any ground that he gains with me is instantly lost when he makes unsupported claims. i suppose that we need to be well versed on the left and right side of the academic think tanks. romano does a nice job of laying out multigenre writing by using a variety of writing. he gives the students credit and believes that they have purposeful things to say unlike some people. last is spandel. what a great book. the 9 rights of every writer, not rules, or guidelines, but rights! damn straight we should be able to choose personally important topics and so should our students. i know that i need to embrace my right to go beyond formula so that i will encourage my students to do so in the future. i feel well equipped with some great resources for creating writing assignments after this weeks reading, and i'm guessing that things will become even more clear as we progress in these texts. PARTY!

resource of the week: litkicks.com, a great place to get lost on the web. it may help you gather some info for a future lesson plan or two. i suggest you check out the beats page first!

2 comments:

Joe Lawrence said...

Good Title. I waxed poetic on my blog about an imaginary fight with giant Q-Tips between these two dudes (from American Gladiator). I think that some of the organizational stuff from Williams could be useful, if taken with a gigantic grain of sea-salt. The most useful would be to teach a lesson about voice using excerpts from his book. His ridiculously simplistic voice is loud and clear.

LeShon A. said...

I agree with you that the Williams book isn't all it's cracked up to be. I did really enjoy the multi genre book and am even considering looking into using it as a final assesment for my students during my student teaching unit I am working on. I did enjoy Spandel too, however as a teacher who has to think about standards, ect... I became frustarted. If you want to see my rant about this take a look at my blog for this week...