Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I Want to be a Little More Frank Costello

Right #5: The Right To Write Badly. You mean its ok to be human? Wow, why couldn’t some of my teachers understand that? I think this acts as a rule for life. It’s ok to do anything badly. It’s not just that “school became a place where it is not all right to fail—ever”(63), but in the REAL WORLD people seem to forget that we need to try things in order to advance ourselves and as a result we sometimes will fail. I also agree with Spandel that writing should not be viewed as an event. I feel like somewhere along the line, music was treated that same way. I think music used to be a part of everyday life, look at countries that have not been Americanified TM, and you will see that they play music all day. First, it was set aside as being done during certain times in the day and the next thing you know its an elective that is being terminated because of budget cuts. I swear our Capitalist system plans on sucking all creativity out of schools so that they can get right to the point and churn out our work force. Sorry to sound like a crazy who’s been locked up in a cabin for three years with no contact to the outside world, banging out all of his theories on a typewriter while wearing a tinfoil hat, but this is just something that I have been thinking about a lot lately. I also think that Right #6 is quite important. By being surrounded by people writing, including the teacher, it makes it seem that much more natural. Please keep this in mind if you are ever trying to instruct anyone to do anything. Would you really want to do something that someone was telling you to do if they weren't actually doing it with you? Here take this pill, but I won't take one with you.

Resource: http://www.paulofreireinstitute.org, this dude was so cool.

2 comments:

Justin said...

So where did you get your tinfoil hat? I didn't see any last time I was in American Apparel.

...but I do agree with you, and was very impressed with that idea that Spandel offered. School SHOULD be a place where people make mistakes, it's part of the learning process. Unfortunatly, the more we try to cram into curriculum and the school year (i.e. standardized tests, mindless standards) the less time we have to genuinely work through issues.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your link to Freire. I've been reading Pedagogy of the Oppressed lately for another class I'm taking (a class I think that you'd really enjoy, because we analyze and challenge the social agendas carried out in curriculum--in other words, there are a lot of tinfoil hats in that class). We should talk Freire sometime. I know of some other good dudes and dudettes that write about curriculum, society and capitalism. You should check out Dewey.
Candance